Sunday 25 May 2008

Ilkley Trail Race

Another day, another race - but good not to be responsible in any way for this one. Whereas yesterday was very low-key and, as always if DH and I are in charge, a little chaotic, today was super-slick and meticulously well organised. Two extremes really, but there is a place for both kind of events. Working to some ridiculous deadlines this weekend so to save a bit of time I cycled down to the Rugby Club to go get my number early (before they ran out!), allowing me to use the last minute jog down from home as my warm-up. I just managed to sort a problem out before leaving so that my head could be cleared for the race. I hate leaving bugs unsolved. They niggle away at my attention!

After yesterday's race I had a bit more confidence going into this than I would have had otherwise, but the legs felt decidedly heavy on the climb up through Middleton Woods. Nonetheless, being on home territory and very familiar terrain, I was definitely in the mood to race, tired legs or whatever! It is always good to have someone ahead to target and DA (who beat me for 1st V50 last week at the Jack Bloor) was a few yards ahead. I fancied a bit of revenge. As we left the woods and went across the open fields I could feel myself closing and soon caught my rival up just before meeting the road. My plan to tuck in behind for a while before going past was somewhat thwarted by lots of enthusiastic cheering of my name! So, I pressed on and up onto the moorland loop. The legs didn't feel so heavy now and I began to feel more comfortable at the speed I was running. This is where desire comes into play. I could carry on at the same pace, or I could try to push on a bit. I opted for the latter and was soon running on the edge again. This is what gives me my kicks these days, this rather primal man against man contest. At the end of the day it matters not a jot to me, but in the moment I really relish the one on one competition. It's just a great buzz.

Halfway around the loop and I was reasonably confident that I'd opened up a gap in the V50 race. But how wrong I was! It was DA who had tucked in behind me, and as soon as we went on to the Langbar road (instead of using the moorland route as I'd expected), I lost a little bit of application and speed, and he went past me, closely followed by PP. From leading the V50 race, I was suddenly in 3rd place, with the wind taken out of my sails - literally, in fact, because we had turned right into it. I was running on tarmac, which I hate, and I just didn't have the mental fuel in the tank to dig in and give chase. I settled. From there it was a rather gruelling section into the ever strengthening wind. The first lady came up beside me at this point. As a cyclist now, it seemed silly to be running side by side into the wind, so I did the chivalrous thing and suggested she tuck in behind me. I knew there would be Ilkley Harrier ladies in pursuit, but what is a guy to do?!

I was also having a good tussle with SC from the Harriers, but I had to let him go on the descent, and then DC came flying past me - as he always seems to at the end of races. I just haven't got the leg speed on the downhill any more, so it was just a matter of keeping it going and preserving my place - which I managed to do. I finished the 7 mile course in 28th place in a time of 50.25, 3rd V50 to DA who ran 49.05. Although I settled in the end, it wasn't in the legs to run that fast today, but I enjoyed trying and it was great fun to feel like I was actually racing as opposed to just running around. My mate JA is a little bit off the pace at the moment, some 3 minutes behind today and (frightening the life out of him - or hopefully back into him ... eh?) was only 7 places and a minute ahead of M. I've put in an equaliser to make the score 2-2 just before half-time!

No comments: