Saturday 13 September 2008

Birthday Boy

I've got quite a few weekends away in the next month so this weekend really has to be a working one. It also happens to be No.1 son's 17th birthday. I was hoping to get both sons out for a bike ride, to make the most of a rare bit of good weather, but it was impossible to breach the apathy barrier. On any other day I would have vetoes their objections, but I had to let the birthday boy decide for himself. He was happy to have a quiet birthday, going to see a film in Leeds in the afternoon and then dinner out in the evening. He very much wanted to see Step Brothers, but I made an executive decision and persuaded him to go see Pineapple Express instead. Equally silly and violent, but at least done with style and wit and high production values. It was a truly guilty pleasure to watch, one of those films that you enjoy far more than you really want to admit!

The only problem for me was watching it on a beautiful saturday afternoon. After so many wet and miserable days it just did not seem right to be inside and missing the sun. At least I did get out for a rushed run before we left. About 4 miles on the moor at a good pace - possibly a little too good a pace for I felt the calf tighten a bit towards the end. I wanted to make the most of the time I had!

Anyway, No.1 son seemed to have a good birthday, although he blew away the evening dinner, prefering instead to have a quiet evening in, watching some of the DVDs he received as presents. Like father, like son in so many ways!

No comments: