Monday 15 September 2008

Out-sprinted

A long day and night at the computer, but I did manage to punctuate it with a 4 mile run on the moor and a 23 mile ride on the bike with the boys. I'm heeding all the good physio advice and balancing things as much as I can. M's orders were to go very easy on the run and stop for some stretching. This is I managed to do, largely courtesy of very heavy legs from yesterday's efforts. I ran out to the Swastika Stone and back, using the natural rocks at the mid-point to provide means of stretching out all the relevant muscles.

I had suggested a bike ride to my lads earlier in the day but by late afternoon, with a bit of drizzle around, my enthusiasm was waning. No.2 son was well up for it, though, and he was the one who prompted us all out. We headed out to Bolton Abbey, then the gated road past Hesketh Farm to Embsay and back via Barden Tower. I've ridden this with No.2 son a few times in the opposite direction and have wanted to introduce him to the descent from Halton Heights for some while now. They both loved it. No traffic on the road so I was able to avoid using the brakes completely. It never ceases to provide an adrenaline rush, cornering at the bottom at well over 40mph. We were all on a high after that and the pace kept up pretty well. The customary sprint at the golf course was won by No.1 son who came from nowhere to steal it on the line from No.2 son. I can't work out how hard I was actually trying. I was last and would like to think I could have given more - but I'm not so sure.

No comments: