Thursday 10 July 2008

A day to forget

I don't feel inclined to write much about today. I've been stuck at the computer from first thing this morning until early evening and feel like I've achieved nothing. There have been moments when I've questioned my sanity. I've found a small design flaw in my software and because of the pressure of time decided to take a short cut rather then sort it out properly. I should know by now that that is always a bad idea. In the end I wasted loads of time, although in fairness to myself that was mainly because of design flaws in some Microsoft software, a new version of which I was using for the first time. The old version was idiosyncratic enough, but this new version just seems to be a whole lot worse. I know a lot of this is down to me being used to working in a certain way, but I still can't help but think that an interface which leads someone to think they are losing their mind has to be considered badly designed.

No.1 son at last got some cricket in tonight. Opening the batting he scored a quick 30, including a majestic straight-driven six, before getting caught in the deep going for another big one. He hit the ball really hard, and inflicted a bit of damage on a couple of the fielders along the way. It was great to see him timing the ball so well, especially as he hadn't had a bat in his hand for some 3 weeks. A big score was there for the taking so I guess I was a little a bit annoyed with him - as he was with himself - for getting perhaps a little carried away, but it was also the right thing to do in the context of a 20 over game. In the end, the heavens opened again before the game was over, and for the second successive evening I cycled home in a deluge.

No comments: