Friday 4 July 2008

Tour of the Moor

I've definitely come down with No.2 son's cold, although it's quite low grade, at least for the moment. It's one of these weird bugs where I develop the cough almost before the onset of any other symptoms. So, I'm working at home again and on my own since my lad decided he was well enough to go to school today. Had a problem to sort out at lunchtime so I went for another walk/jog on the moor to give myself some space to think about it and find the best solution. I decided to make my regular pilgrimage to the cairn, realising that it was a very long time since I'd last been up there ... perhaps my longest ever gap since coming to Ilkley. I even got up there on crutches a week after I broke my leg! I began to realise how much the cycling has taken the place of the running, and although it was very gentle it still felt really good to be back in the old familiar rhythm. I was fine except for one moment on some rocks where I felt a little twinge. It didn't trouble me again but it was reminder enough that I've got to be careful.

My problem was solved on the run - something which often happens - and it was good to remind myself of the importance of taking a break. After an intense afternoon I was more than ready for another break come the evening. No.2 son, feeling much more himself, had gone down to the lido with some mates, so I felt free to get out on the bike. I was going to be soft and take out the Scott, but bizarrely I found that I'd acquired a rear puncture - the first I think I've ever had on this bike. So it was out with the winter training bike on a beautiful summer's evening. It felt so good to feel the warmth of the evening air. There seems to have been so few hot days this summer. I decided on a favourite route which I hadn't done all year, what I call my tour of the moor, a circumnavigation of Ilkley Moor, hugging the edge as much as possible. I decided on the clockwise tour, because anti-clockwise means having to go straight up the Cow & Calf from outside the front door! Clockwise gives a run out along the A65 before turning up to Addingham Moorside, left along Light Bank Lane, down Brunthwaite Hill and then straight back up the horrendously steep climb from Howden Park before descending to East Morton and then back up to the edge of the moor again, past Dick Hudsons and returning via Burley Woodhead to finish with the great descent down from the Cow & Calf. I can freewheel the last mile right to my door. The 20 miles round trip was completed in 1.20.50. The breathing was a bit wheezy but the legs felt ok. Part of the reason for doing this tough route was to help decide whether or not I should be doing the 3 Counties this Sunday. With the legs good, but the breathing a bit dodgy, it hasn't really helped make my mind up at all. There were times on this ride when I felt like last weekend's DLMC had nothing on some of these hills. I can't work out whether that is just me not feeling right or simply that on a short ride you attack the hills a lot harder?

No comments: