Monday 23 June 2008

Absolute Perfection

It's simply amazing how these Monday nights continually attract such good weather. Out tonight on the Harrier's cycle run were MB, JF, NC, and JH with his Dad, coming along for the first time. I was hoping No.2 son would join us, but he got a better offer from one of his mates, and as he's still nursing this whopper of a bruise and slightly dented pride from last week, I decided to let him off the hook! The cloud had been breaking up all afternoon and by the time we set off at 6.45pm the sky was almost clear. And how clear! It was as if first the rain and then the wind had washed and blown every last trace of dust and pollution and vapour out of the air. It was stunningly, magically clear.

We went to Bolton Abbey, up past Hesketh Farm to Embsay and then back via Halton Heights. The views from there were awesome. Looking back, Pendle Hill seemed so close that at first I didn't recognise it. The pace was nice and steady, so a good recovery ride for me, although I did get a bit competitive with young JH at one point, who got rather frisky climbing out of Eastby and went up the first ramp too fast - so I couldn't resist pegging him back and scoring a point by taking him before the top! You have to show these young'uns their place occasionally - and I might not get too many more chances with this one. The boy is very strong.

So, a lovely 23 mile ride on the most perfect evening of the summer so far. It felt good to have ridden that with seemingly no effort at all. Tending to ride mostly with people who are stronger than me, it was comforting to be reminded that, despite the lingering memory of Saturday morning, I am actually quite fit right now!

No comments: