Monday 16 June 2008

Sulks and Grumps

I've been sulking a bit today, but not as much as I usually do when I pick up an injury. Part of that is down to the fact that, with the cycling, I now have two strings to my bow, so I still have one good leg, so to speak. But I think it's mostly because this injury has been caused by my own stupidity rather than circumstance. I can't curse Fate this time around! I usually get a little reclusive when I'm injured, which I think is because I just don't want to have to deal with people asking after me, but now, through this blessed blog, I really can't do that any more. I feel like I've made a commitment and it would seem rather bad form to give it up just because things aren't going so well. But I'm finding it's a lot more difficult to write about negative emotions than the positive ones that I usually feel. I don't like having to report that I've been impatient with things all day, and short with the kids. I've generally been a bit grumpy. Now there's honesty for you!

Things weren't helped on the Harriers cycle ride tonight, with MB, NT and JF along. I brought No.2 son for the ride and after looking strong on the hills, he unfortunately contrived to catch his back wheel on the barriers on the road to Cavendish and took a nasty fall, picking up a mother of a bruise to his thigh. We had to let the others go on and so limped back at our own pace. It always seems that once the current starts to turn against you, it soon becomes a veritable tide! So, we're both nursing injuries tonight, and I'm hoping his enthusiasm for the bike has not been dented in any serious way. I don't think so.

The calf is a little sore, and I'm aware of tightness, but I can walk on it without discomfort. I felt it on the bike, but only really on the hills. I'm not expecting it to give me too many problems. With the realisation that the Dave Lloyd Mega Challenge is only 12 days away, I certainly hope not.

No comments: