Monday 30 June 2008

Reality Bites

Back to work. Back to being a parent. Back to responsibility. One of the very best things about these long Sportives is that they take you completely out of yourself. They can function like an extended and rather energetic kind of meditation.Everything in your 'other' life is forgotten for a few hours ... or for many hours as in the case of yesterday's event. But you inevitably have to return to reality - and today it had a bite.

No.2 son's ear infection has got a lot worse. I was hoping nature would take its course quickly enough, but he was in terrible pain today, screaming for a period of time that seemed interminable for the both of us. He was pleading with me to do something. It was awful. He's now on antibiotics and dosed up with paracetamol and a lot more comfortable.

It was a nice evening and I was planning to go out on the Harriers cycle run tonight, but I couldn't leave the poor fellow on his own. So, I made extra effort over dinner for him and we curled up on the sofa to watch Andy Murray delight us in a 5-set thriller at Wimbledon. It seems like years since I've sat down and watched a match so intently (other than the final perhaps). It brought back memories of my childhood when I was glued to the television for the whole fortnight. It's so easy to get wrapped up in the drama of it, and I've always believed that the scoring system in tennis is a work of genius. I have no idea about the history of it, but it's perfectly constructed to maximise the drama at every stage of the match. And you've never lost until the last point is played out, as Murray proved so clearly tonight, in the deepening gloom. It's such a mind game. Fantastic to watch.

It's been a hard day but it ended on a high note. Yesterday already seems like a long time ago.

No comments: