Tuesday 3 June 2008

Missing the rain ... again

Worked at home today and it was actually a joy not to have to be anywhere and just work straight through. Redesigned and implemented a solution to a tricky little problem and I think I managed to get it all working before the end of the afternoon. Concentration was helped by the fact that it had rained all day. Although the forecast was for it to clear for the evening, it was taking its time and, feeling very jaded from not having moved from the computer all day, I began to wonder if I would have the resolve to go out in the damp with the Earlybirds. But I had made an arrangement with Superlight so I didn't really have any choice. It's good to have these commitments sometimes!

As it turned out the evening was beautiful. The bad weather disappeared away to leave a virtually windless evening, with the rain making everything feel very fresh and intensely green. It was a great social ride. We spun out to Cavendish and up the lovely climb from Skyreholme - which taken a little more steadily than I usually ride it on my own felt remarkably easy - before returning via Hartlington Rakes and Burnsall, a bit under 30 miles I would guesss. I still haven't sorted the computer out on the training bike, and I still keep forgetting the Garmin!

There was a sudden decision on the way back to take in the climb of Langbar, but time was getting on and I had only made a holding meal for No.1 son, so I decided to decline the last hill. I was wondering if I've ever done that before. Felt a bit wimpy, but then I am racing tomorrow night. Should probably try to conserve a little energy for that. Superlight kept me company on the return via Nesfield. It was good to be riding with him after a gap of many years. He's doing the White Rose on Sunday on pretty much pure memory. He wrote me this last week, "The WRC is looming and I have very little in the road miles current account, so I am anticipating going seriously overdrawn on the day and getting hit with some pretty hefty unauthorised borrowing charges". Judging by tonight he might get away without being stung too hard. The muscles do seem to remember ... to a point!

No comments: