Sunday 22 June 2008

Crazy Weather

The forecasters have had it spot-on this weekend. They predicted almost to the minute when the rain would come through yesterday, and today's gales arrived on cue too. I've been feeling blessed again in being able to get in my two long rides before the rain and then the wind. It's been a bit hard on No.2 son, though, because we had planned a long ride today, and that just wasn't going to happen in these conditions. I've been very lucky to have caught ideal and often near perfect weather with every sportive I've ridden. I can't imagine how hard it would have been on the EduD or the WRC if we had caught today's weather. The sound of the wind whistling through my office here has been wild!

I did persuade No.2 son to get out and brave the gales for a short ride, planning to do the 'Three Hills', but in the end the wind was too much for him and we missed out Monastery Hill to do just the first two hills and about 6 miles. When you've been riding a bike forever you take a lot of the skills completely for granted. There is all that knowledge stored in the body that enables you to control the bike without any thought at all. I didn't think anything of being gusted about on the descents, but my lad found it quite difficult, hairy even. And I guess that's because he's still going through the process of absorbing those kind of handling skills. It was such a long time ago for me that it is difficult to imagine a time when I didn't have them.

No comments: