Sunday 1 June 2008

The Earlybird misses the rain ... almost

After working very late it was a massive struggle to get up early, especially as the forecast suggested rain. I was moving very slowly when young HT called for me. We had made an arrangement, but at only 16, and knowing how my own 16-year-old fares that early in the morning, I was actually rather surprised to see him. The lad is keen! I was the usual few minutes late but we were still in time to meet up with another six riders for a run out to Buckden. El Cid and Cacophony led the group out at a steady cadence but once past Bolton Abbey things started hotting up a bit. As the other strong men like Chills and Stafano got to the front, the pace went up a notch or two, and a real rhythm to the ride began to develop. We were riding into a bit of a northerly so it was good to know that there might be some assistance on the way home. We went around the triangle at Buckden and immediately felt the effect of that bit of help.

On the flat section back to Kettlewell we were shifting at close to 30 mph and there was a palpable buzz in the group. What a feeling this was, snaking at speed through the exquisite upper Wharfe valley, briefly interrupting the peace of a few walkers who were clearly in awe of such a colourful spectacle so early on a Sunday morning. This is where cycling as an activity has a big edge over running. This element of teamwork is unique. Sharing the work, looking after each other on the road, giving signals, moving as one. The whole definitely felt like it was greater than the sum of the parts. Actually, my part seemed to become rather minor as I felt the odd twinge of cramp and was having to work very hard to stay with the pace. Normally strong on the hills, every incline began to hurt and I found myself being shelled out the back. Fortunately, under the leadership of El Cid and Cacophony, there is a strong group ethic, which means that they eased off a bit to let me get back on again.

It was decided that we'd finish the ride going over Langbar. Normally I would relish the prospect but by this time I was in survival mode and was content to just twiddle my way up. Stafano was well up the road ahead of us all, but it was very impressive to see HT reach the top ahead of everybody else. How does he do that at just 16 years old!! I think the lad has some considerable talent! Myself and Gizzajob bring up the rear, somewhat ironically as we both reckon ourselves as natural climbers. I think we just had all the energy ridden out of our legs by the speed merchants! By this time the rain that had been threatening for some while was now upon us, but it was too late in the ride to dampen anything really. HT's computer gave us 54 miles in a shade over 3 hours for an average of 17.9 mph. A fantastic morning's work gentlemen - made all the more satisfying for the fact that the rain consequently set in for the whole day. I'd certainly had a hard ride. I needed to take a power nap before I could get back to work!

No comments: