Thursday 12 June 2008

Where'd they go?

I work up early this morning and spent a good twenty minutes drifting in and out of sleep, toying with the notion of getting up and going out with the Earlybirds. The two sides of me were at odds with each other in a very closely fought contest, before my lazy common-sense self was finally defeated by that driven, usually more dominant other self. But it had taken until 6.20 am so I was then involved in a frantic rush to get out of the house in ten minutes - which I didn't quite make. I was only a couple of minutes late so I set off in pursuit of the gang, but the legs didn't want to work that hard so early in the morning. I chased hard until Nesfield where I could see the road ahead for half a mile, and there was still no sign of them on the road, so I realised that I was never going to catch them. I settled for a gentle, quiet spin, and enjoyed the peace and quiet of the morning. It started to drizzle a bit at Bolton Bridge so, feeling a little uninspired, I turned around there and dawdled back, half expecting to have the gang come flying past me - but they never did. I wonder where they got to?

Today, I finally found an elegant way of solving the problem I've been working on all week, somewhat helped by finally getting a clear specification of the requirement. I feel so much better for having been able to come up with something that is aesthetically pure as well as robust. Having to write ugly code really depresses me!

No.2 son has been getting out on his bike a bit of late and I thought it would be good to get out together after dinner for a short ride as it was a pleasantly still evening. I wore his reluctance down pretty quickly and got out at 9pm for just 6 miles, taking in Curly Hill and the bridleway across to High Austby. He's definitely getting fitter. I'm hoping that he can start building up over this next few weeks so we can get some good rides in during the summer holidays. No.1 son was supposed to go riding with his mates this morning, but it was impossible to get him out of bed. I think he could get into it and really enjoy himself on the bike, but his driven self has tunnel vision only for cricket. I guess I'm going to have to work on him. It would be so fantastic if I could get them both out for a day's ride.

This calf niggle is not showing any sign of improvement. It's beginning to annoy me now, that I just pushed it a bit too hard. It's probably something of nothing, because I've been here many times before, but I'd like to know for sure. It's bugging me tonight.

1 comment:

Esroh said...

Earth if you could email me the dates you want the cottage I am99% sure I have you sorted.Also theres 2 days racing here on the Mon/Tues and house is only 1/2 mile from the race course. westernlakespolkadot@eircom.net. Just mention cattage or Earthdreamer in subject and Ill be sure not to ignore